Fall and Winter Carbon Monoxide Safety
As your reliable discount heating oil provider, we prioritize your safety. We also believe that the best way to keep our customers safe is to keep them informed! With that in mind, we’d like to discuss carbon monoxide and what you should be aware of.
What is Carbon Monoxide (CO)?
CO is a very dangerous gas that’s produced when any fuel burns. It has no smell or taste, and high levels of CO can come from appliances that are not operating correctly, or from a venting system or chimney that becomes blocked. High levels of CO can lead to CO poisoning, causing you to feel dizzy or sick, and can also be fatal.
Symptoms of CO Poisoning Include:
- Shortness of Breath
If You Suspect CO to be Present…
If you or a family member shows physical symptoms of CO poisoning, or you suspect the presence of CO, get everyone out of the building and call 911 or your local fire department.
Help Reduce the Risk of CO Poisoning by Following These Tips:
- Have a local service technician check your propane appliances and related venting systems annually, preferably before the heating season begins
- Install UL-listed CO detectors on every level of your home
- Never use a gas oven or range-top burners to provide space heating
- Never use portable heating indoors unless they are designed and approved for indoor use
- Never use a barbecue grill (propane or charcoal) indoors for cooking or heating
- Regularly check your appliance exhaust vents for blockage
Signs of Improper Heating Oil Appliance Operation That Can Generate High CO Levels:
- Sooting, especially on appliances and vents
- Unfamiliar or burning odor
- Increased moisture inside of windows
Be Safe, Not Sorry!
If at any moment you suspect a propane leak or high levels of CO, don’t hesitate to call your local fire department or 911! They don’t care if you’re right or wrong, just that you and your family are safe. We hope that this information helps you have a safe and wonderful fall and winter! And if you haven’t already, create your account with us so you can order discount heating oil when you need it this heating season.